Frequently Asked Heating and Air Questions
Frequently Asked Heating and Air Questions
At Affordable Heating & Air LLC, we are here to answer all your heating and air questions. Trust our experience. Call us to learn more about our repair, installation, and maintenance services.
Heating and air Questions and Answers
What is the SEER Rating?
- The SEER (seasonal energy efficiency ratio) is how the efficiency of your heating and cooling equipment is measured. The SEER is the amount of cooling your system will deliver per dollar spent on electricity, as compared to other systems. For example, a 3-ton unit may have a SEER efficiency rating of 13, 14, or 15. The higher the SEER the more efficient the system will be. The SEER rating of any given unit can range anywhere from 13 to 17.
What does SEER mean?
- Each split system cooling unit has a nominal SEER rating. This rating can be increased with the upgrade of the same series indoor unit. The SEER rating of a system is derived based on the combination of equipment installed in the home. The outdoor equipment (heat pump or air conditioner), as well as the indoor equipment (evaporator coil and furnace, or air handler), play a vital role in the total rating.
How important is HVAC maintenance?
- Your heating and cooling systems work incredibly hard to perform their functions for your home everyday. The constant stopping, starting and continual operation can wear down any machine if the proper care and maintenance is delayed. However, by performing regular maintenance, you can maximize the lifecycle of your heating or cooling unit and guard against many common equipment failures. Preventive maintenance inspections performed on a regular basis can uncover leaks, rust, rot, soot, frayed wires and corroded electrical contacts that the naked eye may not notice. You should have maintenance done on your system regularly to ensure maximum efficiency and allow prevent possible problems that may occur in the near future.
Is it necessary to service AC every year?
- All equipment requires a professional tune-up once a year. Because gas-fired equipment functions with greater efficiency, they only need to be serviced every other year. Inspections on boiler and also furnace systems should include ductwork, pipes, dampers, valves, the chimney, registers, radiators, pumps, blowers, fuel lines, the gas meter, oil tank and every part of the actual furnace and boiler. Meanwhile, heat pump and air conditioning unit inspections should also include inspections of the fan, compressor, indoor coils, outdoor coils, line kits and refrigerant lines.
How often should AC be serviced?
- As your local Bryant dealer, Affordable Heating & Air LLC is your troubleshooting expert, and is also glad to help you. In addition, Bryant also provides a network of troubleshooting technicians at Bryant Distribution centers across the country which Affordable Heating & Air LLC will utilize to solve your concern. Should we encounter a situation that requires additional factory help, we will contact our factory supported Service Manager(s) for assistance.
Is it worth getting a programmable thermostat?
- Since they are electronic, programmable thermostats are more accurate and efficient than thermostats that contain mercury. With programmable thermostats you can control the temperature in your home at different times of day without ever touching your thermostat. Because everything is automatic, you will never forget to change the setting on your own.
What type of air filter is best for AC?
- Standard filters work to keep your system and also its ductwork clean, but they don’t really improve indoor air quality. To do that you need a media filter. The media filter rests between the main return duct and the blower cabinet and will also improve dust and particle removal by seven times that of a standard filter. However, upgrading to a pleated media filter will remove everything from insecticide dust to airborne viruses from the filtered air. Always choose a filter that matches your blower’s capacity. For optimum efficiency and also filtration, Affordable Heating & Air LLC recommends that you replace your disposable filters at least once a month. If you have washable filters, they should also be cleaned once a month.
Does a Bryant furnace have a filter?
- The filter shipped with your Bryant unit is made from higher-quality materials than those of the disposable filters found in retail stores. For that reason, replacement Bryant filters can only be purchased through a Bryant dealer. However, keep in mind that some Bryant filters are reusable, and can be washed by hand in cold water.
Where can I get parts for my Bryant equipment?
- As a Bryant dealer, Affordable Heating & Air LLC is the best resource for identifying and supplying the correct, current parts for your system, as well as pricing and availability.
What size AC unit do I need for my house?
- There are many factors that affect the sizing and specifications of your system. Some of these include square footage, insulation, window surface and configuration. Geographic location of your home, duct sizing and arrangement, may also be factors. Affordable Heating & Air LLC can perform an in-home load analysis to determine which equipment combinations will perfectly suit your home. We will determine the right fit to meet your family’s needs. Depending upon the construction of your home; one (1) ton of air conditioning can cool anywhere from 300 to 800 square feet of home. The only way to ensure the size of the system you purchase will be large enough to cool your home; but not any larger than you need, is to therefore have your home’s individual heating and cooling needs evaluated by a licensed professional.
How does an AC warranty work?
- Under the standard factory warranty, Bryant covers parts that fail during the warranty period due to defect in the part. The warranty does not cover labor. Therefore a warranty certificate was included with your homeowner information packet. It is specific to the model numbers, serial numbers and also the installation dates of your products. If you cannot find your warranty certificate; Affordable Heating & Air LLC will also be able to provide you with the information.
What is the average life of a central air conditioning system?
- Dependable Bryant products are among the longest lasting heating and cooling products available. For your specific equipment, there are many variables that affect life expectancy, and also of course, the regularity of routine maintenance.
How do I keep my house cool with a broken AC?
- Turn on a fan
- Keep external doors closed
- Wear light clothing
- Minimize oven use
- Stay hydrated
If your AC system is broken give us call! Don’t go one more second without the comfort you and your family deserve.
Sylacauga, AL Heating and Air Questions and Answers
Contact us to learn more about any of our heating and air services. We are here to serve you.
Learn More About Our Service Area:
Chelsea | Sterrett | Vandiver | Vincent | Harpersville | Childersburg | Sylacauga | Talladega | Westover | Alexander City | Goodwater | Hollins | Sycamore | Alpine | Wilsonville | Munford | Bon Air | Lincoln | Birmingham
Learn more about our other services:
- HVAC Repair
- Heating and Air Maintenance
- HVAC Installation
- Indoor Air Quality Services
- AC System Replacement
- Heating System Services
- Ductless Mini Split Systems
- Commercial Heating and Air Repair
- HVAC Commercial Installation
- Commercial Refrigeration Services